[zeromq-dev] Python bindings with poll.

Carlos A. Rocha carlos.rocha at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 23:55:18 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Carlos,
>
>> Agreed! My first contributions are on github: http://github.com/rocha/pyzmq
>
> Fantastic!!!  For those who don't go look at the patch, Carlos has
> added a -p (poll)
> option to the Python versions of the perf demos to have them use
> polling zmq sockets.

Also I fixed a little error on setup.py. The module file was not being
copied on install.

> Carlos - how does the performance differ (I won't have time to test
> this today...)

I can only test in one machine right now. Preliminary test are show
this results:

tcp://localhost:5555

cpp::lat
message size: 1000 [B]
roundtrip count: 100000
mean latency: 24.938 [us]

python::lat
message size: 1000 [B]
roundtrip count: 100000
mean latency: 22.500 [us]

python::lat
using poll
message size: 1000 [B]
roundtrip count: 100000
mean latency: 15.650 [us]

I am not sure why the python version is running faster than the cpp one however.

> In the past I have used BSD for my open source projects - I am using
> LGPL to match the license
> of zeromq itself.  I realize that the MIT license is even more
> allowing than the LGPL, so I am not worried
> about including your contribution.  But  it is a little awkward to
> have a *patch* released under a separate license.  I am not sure how
> we handle that in terms of licensing.  Also, don't contributions to an
> LGPL project have to be LGPL?  Obviously you can *use* pyzmq in a
> non-LGPL project, but if you contribute to pyzmq itself, doesn't if
> have to be LGPL?  How does zeromq handle this?

Oh I see. I didn't know pyzmq was using a different license. How about
this: my contributions to pyzmq are done under LGPL. My contributions
to zmq (if any) are under the MIT license. Does that fix it? I guess I
got confused since I read somewhere that you have to acknowledge that
your code can be used freely when releasing it on the mailing list.

Best,

--
Carlos