[zeromq-dev] libzmq.dll => zmq.dll ?

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Wed Feb 24 14:25:33 CET 2010

> There have been a suggestion of renaming libzmq.dll to zmq.dll on
> Windows platform yesterday.
>
> The new version would be more in line with dll naming conventions used
> on Windows. However, it's not clear how would the change affect
laguage
> bindings and existing applications.
>
> Would different name for POSIX and Windows platform be an issue? And
if
> so, why?

From what I understand, this is a non-issue; any name would do. OpenSSL
uses libXXX.dll, most others use XXX.dll.

A bigger issue, that has already come up, is the multitude of runtimes
under Windows. You may have all combinations of:

* Single / Multi threaded
* Debug / Release
* Versions: most common nowadays seem to be 6.x, 7.x and 9.x.

How to account for all of them? Welcome to DLL hell, with no easy
solution that I know about.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm

penalties set forth by Chilean law.