[zeromq-dev] Java binding

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Mon Feb 22 14:44:42 CET 2010

> I am not sure about the interface - the type you use for handles in
Java
> is 'long' which gets translated in C to void*, right?

Yes.

> Is there any guarantee that Java 'long' type can hold a pointer? I am
> not an expert on Java but storing pointer in a signed integer just
> doesn't sound right.

No guarantees, but there seems to be no other way. I don't know what
would happen in a 64 bit environment. I can only say two things in "my
defense":

1. It was already done that way in the Java binding. The final lines in
Context.java used to be:

    /** Opaque data used by JNI driver. */
    private long contextHandle;

2. It is the only way I could find that is "documented" on the Internet.
For example:

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5333492
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/Java/Q_20188025.ht
ml