[zeromq-dev] Multicast and send/recv

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Mon Feb 22 14:29:15 CET 2010

Say I have many different programs running on a network, all of them
built using 0MQ. I have been thinking about having a supervisor that
every so often sends a "ping" message, gathers the responses from all
programs and tells me useful information about them (starting with who
is responding to the ping message).

Can this be done with multicast? Could I have each program do a bind on
a multicast endpoint (probably on a separate thread) and, when receiving
the ping message, answer back using the same endpoint / channel? The
advantage I see about doing things this way is that each program only
needs to know the endpoint it has to bind to, and the supervisor does
not need to know how many programs there are (as long as all of them are
reachable through multicast). Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks and best regards,

--
Gonzalo Diethelm

penalties set forth by Chilean law.