[zeromq-dev] Threading questions

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Fri Feb 19 13:43:56 CET 2010

> > Say I want to have threading operations on three separate threads.
Do I

Sorry, I meant "have socket operations on three separate threads".

> > have to call zmq_init() just once, with app_threads = 3, before I
spawn
> > the threads? Or do I have to call zmq_init() once on each thread,
each
> > time with app_threads = 3?
>
> Call it once in the main thread. Use the resulting context to create
> sockets in each of your threads.

Got it. Do I have to protect access to 0MQ's context with a mutex within
each thread?

> > Can I have more than one thread calling zmq_recv() on different
sockets
> > at the same time?
>
> No. Each socket object can be created and used from at most one
thread.
> For communication between threads use inproc transport (zmq_inproc(7))

Then the answer would be yes? I said "more than one thread calling
zmq_recv() on DIFFERENT sockets at the same time".

> See an example here:
>
> http://www.zeromq.org/area:docs-v20#toc15

The example only shows one inproc socket being used to communicate
between two threads. I assume one of the threads can then go on to
create other socket(s), right?

> > I want to have a program that receives a constant stream of business
> > messages and, every once in a while, a couple of "administrative"
> > messages (enquiring state, asking it to pause or shut down, etc.). I
> > think I have at least two ways of doing this:
> >
> >    1. One socket, one thread receiving messages, it decides what
kind of
> >       message it is (business or administrative) and processes it.
> >    2. Two sockets, two threads. On one thread I only receive
business
> >       messages on the business socket; on the other thread I only
> >       receive administrative messages on the administrative socket.
> > Is there any advantage you can see on one method over the other?
Model 2
> > seems to provide a better abstraction.
>
> As far as I understand your business messages are a stream (either
> pub/sub or upstream/downstream) while your administration commands are
> req/rep. You'll need 2 sockets for that.

You are right. Which makes me wonder: are pub/sub and
upstream/downstream sockets inherently one-way? I don't remember seeing
any explicit statement to this effect in the docs.

> > Are all of the threading rules the same when using 0mq on C / C++
and
> > when using it on Java?
>
> Yes. It's the same. Java binding is just a thin wrapper over
underlying
> C library.

Got it.

> HTH