[zeromq-dev] Publish / Subscribe vs Multicast

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Tue Feb 16 13:33:43 CET 2010

> > Sorry, I got mixed up. But what Brian mentions is what I meant by
bind
> > -> passive (listening and waiting), connect -> active (initiating).
> >
> > Now, within the context of my porting the butterfly example to ZMQ
2.0,
> > I am doing it exactly this way: apps bind endpoints when they will
> > listen for connections from somewhere else, and connect endpoints
when
> > they are initiating a connection. But I have not been able to have
> > several instances of a program bind on the same endpoint and have
all of
> > them (round-robin) receive the messages sent to that endpoint; only
the
> > first app to bind to that endpoint is receiving messages. Am I
missing
> > something?
>
> Here's an example of how binds & connectio have to be done (see
> attachement).

Martin, all I see in the attached PNG is seven white squares on a black
background, with no other markings.

Yesterday, driving home, I convinced myself that what I am doing is not
going to work (which probably means that I will have to convince myself
later that I was wrong about it not working...). Anyway, from what I
know about TCP/IP, you can bind only one socket to a given IP address /
port, right? Therefore, how would it be possible to have several
instances of component1, all bound to the same endpoint, running at the
same time?

Furthermore, let's say this multiple binding is made possible by zmq.
When send_requests sends a request, how will it know there are two,
three or N instances of component1, all bound to the same destination
endpoint, so that send_requests will round-robin between them?

Thanks for all the hand-holding.

--
DCV
Gonzalo Diethelm