[zeromq-dev] Publish / Subscribe vs Multicast

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:26:17 CET 2010

Gonzalo,

> I thought I would bind() a socket whenever I want that socket to receive
> messages, and I would connect() a socket whenever I want to send
> messages over it; kind of bind -> passive, connect -> active. Am I
> totally off the chart here?

As I understand it, the bind/connect choice has nothing to do with the
direction of messages, but
rather which endpoint has a TCP socket that is listening on a port
(the "server" in traditional language) for incoming connections
and which makes a TCP connection (the "client").  That is,
bind/connect refers to the TCP-level actions of bind/connect,
not message direction.

Cheers,

Brian