[zeromq-dev] Handling disconnections; was:Questions about socket errors

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Thu Feb 11 19:02:47 CET 2010

On 11 February 2010 02:12, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> > I would imagine that a socket type that round robin distributes to a
> > set of endpoints, would just skip
> > any endpoint that disconnects?  What about reply/request queues or
> multicast?
>
> REQ/REP doesn't work over multicast right now. I haven't seen a
> compelling use case for the functionality by the way. If you have one,
> please do share it.

Note that REQ/REP over multicast is the most popular communication paradigm
over TIBCO Rendezvous.  Multicast brings the following advantages:

* Location independence - the client doesn't need to know where the server
is.
* Fault tolerance and load sharing - the servers decide between themselves
how to handle requests whether primary-secondary or sharding of topic
namespace.  You can transparently bounce servers without updating state in
the clients.

--
Steve-o