[zeromq-dev] FYI: 29 West IPC performance numbers

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Sat Feb 6 03:02:05 CET 2010

On 5 February 2010 21:57, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest <dermoth at aei.ca> wrote:

> >> *Sub-microsecond IPC*
> >> Our upcoming messaging releases will include newly optimized code for
> >> our inter-process communication (IPC) transport.  This new version of
> >> IPC is being tested in early access right now, and is running at about
> >> 900 nanoseconds.  IPC remains a free component of all core 29West Ultra
> >> Messaging products (LBM, UME, UMQ).
> >
> > Nice. AFAIK, 0MQ IPC via UNIX domain sockets is somewhere at 17us at the
> > moment. Still a lot space to improve!
>
> It uses UNIX sockets? I though it would use shared memory segments and
> semaphores (SysV IPC).
>
> Actually SysV IPC also implements message queues...

SysV message queues are slow, shared memory is tedious to clean up after,
the preferred method for IPC these days is mmap on /dev/zero or a deleted
file.  I think the Apache scoreboard is probably a good example of modern
IPC, Chromium seems to be in between a transition of Unix sockets and mmap.

--
Steve-o