[zeromq-dev] non-x86 support

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Mon Feb 1 07:01:54 CET 2010

Hi all,

It waw jut reported that (at least) openpgm includes some assembler bits,
which obviously won't work on non-x86 platforms.

[ 2.0beta2 tarball, as always with my reports :-) ]

On a first glance I've seen a call to asm("rdtsc", ...) in time.c; the
function is inside an #ifdef CONFIG_HAVE_TSC -- isn't TSC a x86 specific
hardware counter anyway?  So why is CONFIG_HAVE_TSC set at all on non-x86
architectures?

(Offline right now; the full build report is linked from the Debian bug
report at <http://bugs.debian.org/src:zeromq>.  I'll try to build from git
on a non-x86 machine later this week, I've seen you have a newer openpgm in
git.)

Fallback will be to specify --with-openpgm only on x86/x86_64 architectures,
but if it's only the TSC  thing I'm sure there is an easy solution.

cheers
-- vbi

--
I once ran a Linux machine with 8M of RAM
and used a floppy disk as a swap device.