[zeromq-dev] Monitoring and management question

Paul Colomiets tailhook at yandex.ua
Thu Dec 23 00:47:44 CET 2010

21.12.2010, 20:32, "Martin Sustrik" <sustrik at 250bpm.com>:

> However, what I fear is that exposing this kind of info would
> immediately result in people using it to drive business logic rather
> then using it for system monitoring. That in turn breaks the
> "not-connected" design of 0MQ, severely hurts scalability etc.

Maybe a special socket protocol for this stuff would help? Something like:
    monitoring://connections
Which will list all current and/or pending connections.

Or even maybe socket type, which could look like:

    sock = ctx.socket(zmq.MONITOR)
    sock.bind('inproc://connections')
    realsock = ctx.socket(zmq.REQ)
    realsock.connect('inproc://connections')
    realsock.send("active")
    print realsock.recv()

This way monitoring capabilities can be directly exposed to the
monitoring software on the network.

This way you will make improper usage of this information more hard.
Any thoughts?

--
Paul