[zeromq-dev] ØMQ 2.1.0 beta release archive

Martin Sustrik sustrik at imatix.com
Mon Dec 6 14:17:04 CET 2010

On 12/06/2010 12:51 PM, Steven McCoy wrote:

> It is entirely dependent upon the application domain.  If it were market
> data a reasonable option is to store and conflate updates until the
> downstream channel capacity is available.

That's the standard last-value-cache behaviour. It consists of two
distinct message flows: A real-time stock quote distribution (PUB/SUB)
and a channel to deliver on-request stock quote snapshots (REQ/REP).

Mixing these two into a single socket can't be really made work IMO.

> If you were re-implementing
> REQ/REP over multicast you may desire back pressure in order to report
> status back upstream.

I have no experience with this scenario. I cannot comment on it.