[zeromq-dev] ZMQ 2.1.0 and OpenPGM Memory Usage

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Mon Dec 6 04:19:31 CET 2010

On 4 December 2010 00:46, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> On 12/03/2010 05:35 PM, Bob Beaty wrote:
> > Martin!
> > Thanks so very much. I hadn't looked into all the options for the
> > multicast and the ZMQ_RECOVERY_IVL is indeed the key.
> > Question: It's now in seconds. Is there any way to make it "tenths of a
> > second"? I'd like to make it about 0.5sec as my application is very much
> > "if you're here, good... if not, hit the cache".
>
> Underlying library (OpenPGM) accepts the value in granularity of seconds.
>
> Steven, is there any rationale for that?

I think I remember querying about it before.  Seconds is an easy default
option to use until someone really needs anything else.  Now someone is
asking for it.

Easy workaround is to calculate the buffer size in sequence numbers in 0MQ
and pass that onto OpenPGM.  Then you can export socket options for 0MQ to
set the buffer size in seconds, milliseconds, etc.

int sqns = (secs * max_rte) / tpdu_size;
pgm_setsockopt (sock, IPPROTO_PGM, PGM_TXW_SQNS, &sqns, sizeof (sqns));

--
Steve-o