[zeromq-dev] Announcing ZFL

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sat Aug 21 19:41:13 CEST 2010

On 08/21/2010 11:23 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Martin Sustrik<sustrik at 250bpm.com>  wrote:
>
>> One thing really missing is device multiplexing. I.e. imagine you want to
>> create 10,000 mini-queues. Right now you have to create 10k threads. It
>> would be nice if the devices can be lumped together is a single thread.
>
> This only really applies to queues, right?  So this would be a device
> able to handle many pairs of endpoints in parallel.  The main problem
> with that is that 10k endpoint pairs is a real management issue. That
> is a lot of TCP ports and a really brittle network. You'd really want
> to switch over to a single endpoint that abstracts the queue name in
> the protocol, and then you get a queue broker.  That can still be a
> device.
>
> So you don't want "device multiplexing", but rather a queue broker.
> Is that correct?

Yes. It's the broker scenario. Say different services on the corporate
network, all funneled via a single executable (the broker).

This seems a bit pathological with current "port per dataflow" approach.
On the other hand, a feature I have in mind for a long time is "TCP
subports" -- say tcp://192.168.0.111:5555:45 -- to allow multiple
streams to flow via a single open port.

I am not 100% sure this is a good idea though.