[zeromq-dev] 0MQ User Guide

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Aug 12 09:36:24 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Oliver Smith <oliver at kfs.org> wrote:

> Before "Show us the code" - you need a short excerpt on "Isn't message
> passing expensive" where you can mention the lock free element of ZeroMQ and
> expand on the "N-to-N".

OK, we can try this.  I try to stay away from trying to sell 0MQ,
presumably anyone reading the User Guide just wants to learn how to
use it.

> I'm not sure people are going to register the significance of N-to-N in the
> 100 word section, the transparent multiplexing of the ZeroMQ sockets is one
> of the mind blowing things.

That's for sure.  It's like the trailer, filled with little things
that will make sense only later in the movie.

> Also... Have you considered perhaps considering the term "Mailbox" or
> "handle" or "descriptor" for the sockets? The more distance you can put
> between the mundane concept of a BSD/TCP socket and a ZeroMQ zap-pow-kabloom
> endpoint the better maybe.

Every other word you could use has its own meanings and that will
create confusion.  Best to stick to the language one wants to teach.