[zeromq-dev] IPC REQ/REP socket unavailable to other users?

Stewart Douglas sdouglas at snowgold.com
Wed Aug 11 21:12:42 CEST 2010

Have just done a quick test and had no issues connecting to an anonymous
UDS created by an another user.

The code I'm talking about sets up the socket for a connect or bind as
shown below having first called socket in the normal way.

   struct sockaddr_un address;
   bzero(&address, sizeof(address));
   address.sun_family = AF_UNIX;
   strncpy(address.sun_path, localSocketName.c_str(),
sizeof(address.sun_path));

   int length = sizeof(address.sun_family) + strlen(address.sun_path);

   // make sure we use an abstract name for the socket
   address.sun_path[0] = 0;

   if (::connect(theSocketFD, (struct sockaddr *)&address, length))

Presumably this could be changed in ipc.cpp, but not sure of the
implications for decoding the addresses passed in etc. And how
applicable this trick is across non Linux platforms. My copy of Stevens
is silent on the matter, or I am too tired to find the correct page.
Also I think length could be calculated simply from sizeof(address).

int zmq::resolve_local_path (sockaddr_storage *addr_, socklen_t
*addr_len_, const char *path_)

Hope this is some help

Stew

--