[zeromq-dev] Requesting suggestions for getsockopt() in Java

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Mon Aug 9 17:00:15 CEST 2010

gdiethelm at dcv.cl said:
> > > As always, just copy Sun's original implementation, implement
> getters
> > > and setters for every socket option:
> >
> > +1
>
> Ok, but I seem to remember there was a point made about not adding
> separate interfaces for each socket option; this way, when new options
> are added, old code can be made aware of them without changes (or
> something to that effect). Perhaps this only applied to C code.

jzmq has to define the actual values for the socket option constants
somewhere, does it not? So the point of apps using "newer" options than
jzmq supports is kind of moot unless people want to define the "newer"
constants themselves...

I guess, if in doubt, go with whatever is the "current best practice in
language X" which would seem to be the typesafe way. *But* if I understand
it correctly, you already implement the "previous best practice" which is
the non-typesafe way. So we're back to where we started, take your pick :-)

-mato