[zeromq-dev] RPC design pattern

rbansal at gmail.com rbansal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 23:48:11 CEST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Holloway <jholloway7 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:57:48
To: 0MQ development list<zeromq-dev at lists.zeromq.org>
Subject: Re: [zeromq-dev] RPC design pattern

>> It sounds like you may be suggesting that I'd have a more abstract
>> message queue in between the clients and workers and perhaps use some
>> detail of the application layer to dispatch the messages instead of
>> having a "direct" link between client and service provider?
>>
>> (I realize I'm probably overloading/misusing some terms so feel free
>> to correct me if it helps get on the same page)
>
> No, you are right. We were just speaking about different scenarios.
>
> You were speaking of the use case where client connect directly to the
> services while I had the case where there's a node (shared queue) in the
> middle.

Does either model offer any significant advantages over the other in
terms of using 0MQ as a RPC transport layer? I have seen RPC
implemented over direct socket connections and also implemented in
terms of a shared queue on top of an enterprise-y MQ product.

I see 0MQ as falling somewhere in between those two paradigms I'd be
interested to hear thoughts on pros/cons of either model.  Would a
general purpose RPC service container be advised to support both?