[zeromq-dev] Build issue for Java binding on mac osx 10.5

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 19:55:41 CEST 2010

Martin,

I don't think this is an issue with the autotools version.  I think it
is the issue with pkg-config that I saw.  Here is a summary of the
issue:

Building 0MQ from the development trunk on a UNIX style OS (Linux, OS
X) requires that
pkg-config (http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/wiki/) be installed.  A
regular source build
of 0MQ does not require pkg-config.  On Mac OS X, pkg-config
does not come with the system, so when you try to do ./configure
you may see errors like:

./configure: line 23913: syntax error near unexpected token `GLIB,'
./configure: line 23913: `    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GLIB, glib-2.0 gthread-2.0)'

To resolve this, you need to install the latest pkg-config:

tar xzf pkg-config-0.23.tar.gz
cd pkg-config-0.23
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pkg-config-0.23 --datarootdir=/usr/share
make
sudo make install

Then you will need to put /usr/local/pkg-config-0.23/bin on your
$PATH.  It is important
to include the "--datarootdir=/usr/share" option, which will install
the pkg.m4 file in
/usr/share/aclocal, where aclocal will be able to find it.

Then you can build 0MQ:

cd zeromq2
./autogen.sh  # must do this again after installing pkg-config
./configure     # add other options here
make
sudo make install

This text used to be on the 0MQ website in the build instructions
somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.  Am I missing it?

Cheers,

Brian