[zeromq-dev] Multicore Magic

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Apr 26 22:09:51 CEST 2010

Pieter Hintjens wrote:
orry if my questions are utterly ignorant :-)

>> 2. Allocating shmem is not free. Allocating shmem buffer for each
>> message would turn to performance bottleneck.
>
> Wouldn't happen like that, rather allocate fixed shmem buffers that
> are reused for smaller messages.  And use signals to indicate new
> data... no?

Definitely doable. But that's what OS-provided IPC mechanism does under
covers. Once you go that way you find yourself competing with kernel
implementation of the same thing.

Not that it's not doable. There've been a discussion on the list where
someone proposed busy-looping when waiting for incoming data, thus
by-passing the kernel. Still, my feeling is that such measures are a bit
drastic even for a HPC solution like 0MQ.