[zeromq-dev] Research and student involvement

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Apr 26 09:47:26 CEST 2010

Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:
>
>> The latter is exactly what IETF patent policy tries to achieve.
>
> The patent policy requirements are not complex.  And the IETF policy
> is for specifications, not code.  And the IETF will not arbitrate in
> any dispute, especially not over patents, but not over copyright or
> trademark either.  I can guarantee that.  So there is no value in
> using IETF policies except as templates.
>
> We actually have legal text already, see the IP policy for the
> rfc.zeromq.org site.

Ah, we've been speaking of different things here. Surely, process to
accept code contributions to 0MQ is entirely up to iMatix, so it's to you.

What I meant was research not specific to 0MQ, rather generic research
in networking/messaging area. There's no way to force people to release
their IP to the public domain, so encouraging publishing of the results
as IETF I-Ds makes sense IMO.