[zeromq-dev] Research and student involvement

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sun Apr 25 23:27:05 CEST 2010

Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:
>
>> As for doing research as a part of curriculum, there's a question of IP
>> rights to consider. As far as I understand, IP rights for any work done
>> within curriculum belong to the school.
>
> Note that we will not accept into 0MQ code for which the researchers
> are filing patents.  In fact before we accept any educational
> establishments (which often have policies obliging researchers to file
> patents) into such a project they will have to agree explicitly to
> either not file patents on their 0MQ work, or to license these at no
> cost to all users (which makes the patents meaningless).

The latter is exactly what IETF patent policy tries to achieve.

Consider following points:

1. Any hand-written contract won't be as legally sound as the
time-proven IETF process.

2. IETF has enough credibility to be considered a trusted arbiter
between all interested parties. I.e. it guarantees that IP won't be
hijacked by any party, whether it's the school, iMatix or whoever.

3. Any legal action questioning validity of IETF process would be an
attack on Internet itself and thus likely to be dismissed immediately.
Not so with any contract you'll write on your own.

IANAL