[zeromq-dev] Research and student involvement

Pieter Hintjens pieterh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 22:55:35 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> As for doing research as a part of curriculum, there's a question of IP
> rights to consider. As far as I understand, IP rights for any work done
> within curriculum belong to the school.

Note that we will not accept into 0MQ code for which the researchers
are filing patents.  In fact before we accept any educational
establishments (which often have policies obliging researchers to file
patents) into such a project they will have to agree explicitly to
either not file patents on their 0MQ work, or to license these at no
cost to all users (which makes the patents meaningless).

Martin, we need to codify this in an agreement, similar to the old
copyright assignment agreement.