[zeromq-dev] Getting started with ruby bindings

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Wed Apr 21 13:56:59 CEST 2010

Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah. That would make 0MQ sockets into standard file descriptors.
>
> And if we can make these work asynchronously (i.e. a separate
> thread/process for the i/o work) then we get full speed performance in
> all languages, right?

Well, we get that even today. The problem is that toy languages don't
implement real concurrency so that they can get stuck when interacting
with 0MQ... In any case offering 0MQ sockets as file descriptors would
allow for integration of 0MQ with products that use hard-wired file
descriptor event loop in it's core.