[zeromq-dev] Getting started with ruby bindings

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Apr 21 10:41:37 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:57:42PM +0200, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> Perhaps a general solution is to move the 0MQ work to a separate
> process and talk to that.  It can run at full speed and queue stuff up
> for the Ruby app to take when it needs it.

That is logical. However, then you need to design a protocol to run between
the ruby app and the messaging daemon.

If that protocol is 0MQ, then you've removed the need for the daemon.

If it's a different protocol, it could be designed to run down a single
channel (e.g. stdin/stdout to a child process). I think it would need to
allow:
* Overlapping (tagged) REQ/REP
* Individual messages to be labelled with their destination,
  similar to topics
* Per-destination flow control, to avoid a backlog to one destination
  preventing messages being sent to another destination

If such a protocol existed, it would be tempting to run it directly on the
wire instead of 0MQ.  Or, the local protocol could work differently (e.g.
synchronous polling for pulling newly-arrived messages out of the daemon,
rather than having them arrive asynchronously)

The main purpose of the daemon would then be to establish pools of
connections, and round-robin message delivery.  (I'd also like to see it
implement efficient persistent local queues, but that's new functionality)

Regards,

Brian.