[zeromq-dev] Out-of-the-box zeromq Unexpected Low Performance on Windows

Baribeau, Christian Christian.Baribeau at Ultra-UEMS.com
Fri Apr 16 23:00:27 CEST 2010

Allo!

This is our first attempt at using zeromq. We would like receive some feedback on what may be wrong with our setup and testing.

We conducted the performance test on two Windows XP Pro SP3 machines (multi-core, 2 GHz, 2 G RAM, etc) directly connected together through their 1 Gbps NIC.

For the performance testing, we used the local_thr.c and remote_thr.c from the perf directory in release 2.0.6 zeromq source tree downloaded from the web site. The libzmq library and both .c files were successfully built using the MSVC 2008 Express and the MSVC project file found in the source tree. No changes were made to the project settings.

Here is a short list of the test results (stdout) from the local_thr.exe:

C:\Work\TestZeroMQ>local_thr.exe tcp://192.168.35.209:667 170 10
message size: 170 [B]
message count: 10
mean throughput: 625000 [msg/s]
mean throughput: 850.000 [Mb/s]

C:\Work\TestZeroMQ>local_thr.exe tcp://192.168.35.209:667 170 100
message size: 170 [B]
message count: 100
mean throughput: 309 [msg/s]
mean throughput: 0.420 [Mb/s]

C:\Work\TestZeroMQ>local_thr.exe tcp://192.168.35.209:667 170 1000
message size: 170 [B]
message count: 1000
mean throughput: 201 [msg/s]
mean throughput: 0.273 [Mb/s]

C:\Work\TestZeroMQ>local_thr.exe tcp://192.168.35.209:667 170 2000
message size: 170 [B]
message count: 2000
mean throughput: 201 [msg/s]
mean throughput: 0.273 [Mb/s]

C:\Work\TestZeroMQ>local_thr.exe tcp://192.168.35.209:667 1700 10
message size: 1700 [B]
message count: 10
mean throughput: 24 [msg/s]
mean throughput: 0.326 [Mb/s]

C:\Work\TestZeroMQ>local_thr.exe tcp://192.168.35.209:667 1700 100
message size: 1700 [B]
message count: 100
mean throughput: 21 [msg/s]
mean throughput: 0.286 [Mb/s]

These results are not in line with the expected performance results found on the zeromq web site.

Is this a known issue?

Are we make a newbie mistake somewhere?

Are their Windows specific build instructions/settings/issues we should know?

Thank you

Christian

This e-mail from Ultra Electronics Holdings plc and any attachments to it are confidential to the intended recipient and may also be privileged. If you have received it in error please notify the sender and delete it from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other person. All communications may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational and/or security purposes. Please rely on your own virus checking as the sender cannot accept any liability for any damage arising from any bug or virus infection. Ultra Electronics Holdings plc is a company registered in England and Wales, registration number 2830397. The address of its registered office is 417 Bridport Road, Greenford, Middlesex, UB6 8UA.