[zeromq-dev] TLS

Pieter Hintjens pieterh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 18:10:15 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Joe Holloway <jholloway7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> While thinking about the kinds of application I could build with 0MQ,
> it occurred to me that some applications might benefit from
> authentication and encryption.  Say, for example, using 0MQ as the
> backbone for a health care application.

You may find multiple opinions, but here's my view... :-)

0MQ is not a single thing but a stack of layered technologies and protocols.

The current 0MQ "core" is what we usually mean when we say "0MQ".  On
top of that core, we will eventually build reliability layers,
authentication and encryption layers, and so on.  Everything above the
0MQ core can be considered an "application" though perhaps 0MQ will
eventually support filters and/or plugins that can extend the core
rather than sitting explicitly outside it.

So if you need TLS to exchange data with external clients, you could
do this using a gateway that speaks TLS at one side (and acts as a
server), and forwards messages to an unsecured 0MQ network at the
other side.

Whether or not such an eventual gateway is packaged with 0MQ is a
matter of convenience, licensing, etc.

So there is no imperative to _not_ add functionality to 0MQ as an
overall ecosystem, but we want the 0MQ core (and its protocols and
API) to remain essentially simple.