[zeromq-dev] Proposal for 2.0.7: Cleaning up the ZMQ_* constants

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Fri Apr 16 00:42:47 CEST 2010

ellisonbg at gmail.com said:
> I am not too excited about this change as the current API is pretty
> well established and the new convention simply makes all of use type
> more.  But, I spend a lot of my time in the Python universe, where
> "flat is better than nested." (I view the proposal as a sort for
> pseudo=nesting).

Flat is of course better, but doesn't work very well long-term in C where
you have no concept of namespaces.

Hence this proposal, the main motivation is to future-proof ourselves by
not dumping every single constant into the ZMQ_ "namespace". Note that e.g.
BSD socket APIs use similar schemes; SOCK_XXX, SO_XXX, TCP_XXX and so on.

If others do not share my opinion that namespace pollution is a problem
then we can of course ditch the idea.

Cheers,

-mato