[zeromq-dev] ipc on windows

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Thu Apr 15 08:22:34 CEST 2010

Hi Piotr,

>  > > Not for speed, I need it to automatically define unique-name io
> channel
>  > > between cores on the same host.
>  > >
>  > > My process setup:
>  > > - k processes on same host (not threads)
>  > > - each process can communicate with the other on the same host
>  > > - each process has a dedicated input address
>  > >
>  > > Currently I'm planning to use ZeroMQ in the following way, please
>  > > correct me if my assumptions are wrong:
>  > > - each process reads from the same socket (like 127.0.0.1:5555 -
> REQ/REP)
>  > > - each process filters (subscribes) own set of messages
>  > > - messages are not shared (no common filter)
>  > > - each process can write to the input socket: 127.0.0.1:5555 using
>  > > variable message prefix
>  > >
>  > > Is it correct? Will it work or I need something more?
>  > > Do I need a "forwarder device" process for it?
>
>  > First of all you should decide on what messaging pattern to use. Is it
>  > request/reply? Or rather pub/sub? Maybe a parallelised pipeline?
>
> I forgot in this case I'm using PUB/SUB.
> Can I (PUB + connect) and (SUB + bind) in several processes on the same
> socket address in the same time?
> And if ZMQ_SUBSCRIBE is used in shared-nothing way can I read in
> multiple processes in the same time?

You can bind only one socket to a specified address. However, you can
connect to a single address from several sockets.

> So ZeroMQ is limited to use only sockets, am I correct?

Anything with POSIX "file descriptor" interface.

> I didn't succeed in connecting to "pgm://127.0.0.1;224.0.0.1:5554"
> (using either REQ/REP or PUB/SUB).
> Is it a correct address? Can I use loopback address for it?

Yes, the address is right. However, if you are running on Windows you
should note that OpenPGM part can be built only under MinGW rather than
under MSVC.

> I had problems with finding all the pieces on the web site. Please
> consider it:
> 1. I think it could be nice to include "supported platforms & features"
> + "system requirements" sections
> somewhere in "readme" file.

We don't have access to all systems that 0MQ runs on. It's hard to
guarantee that the current version runs on _all_ of them. We depend on
our community to provide the feedback.

> (for example to include requirement for MSMQ
> for pgm or epgm).

No, MSMQ is not needed.

> 2. "Documentation" link that is visible search engine is broken:
> http://www.zeromq.org/area:docs-v20

Yes, it is. No way to clear google's cache though :)

> BTW. Please include samples download link somewhere on the web site. Of
> course I know how to use Google but...

There are at least 2 links to samples in 'Cookbook' section.