[zeromq-dev] Non-blocking calls and Twisted

Laurens Van Houtven lvh at laurensvh.be
Wed Apr 14 18:20:39 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Pieter Hintjens <pieterh at gmail.com> wrote:

> But seriously, and as point of interest, if RabbitMQ/AMQP works and
> you're happy with it, what's pushing you to explore 0MQ?

Watch me try to pass rhetoric off as logical conclusion:

let hsal be hintjens, sustrik et al.

1. hsal are reasonably clever people
2. hsal know a lot about amqp (more than I do)
3. hsal invested a lot of time and money in amqp
4. i know amqp doesn't suck because I use it myself and it works beautifully
5. hsal don't like amqp very much anymore, and they've ran off and did their
own thing

In conclusion, "their own thing" is probably worth at least a few days of
experimentation before you hsal gets internally dismissed as a bunch of
loons who stared too deep into the abyss and paid for it with their sanity
:-)

We're not really seriously considering using ZMQ at the moment (hence my
reluctance to implement all of it in Python) mostly because ZMQ's fancy
features don't apply to us yet. We're doing a JSON-based protocol over HTTPS
with a new connection every time we send something, obviously latency is not
a major issue :-) Still, I'd like to know more about ZMQ so I can give a
rational (technical/financial/political) reason why we're using one and not
the other.

> -Pieter

lvh