[zeromq-dev] epgm protocol question

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue Apr 13 15:11:07 CEST 2010

Emmanuel TAUREL wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I am sorry but I don't understand.
> The unit of this ZMQ_RATE is kilobits/seconds.
> Therefore 20000 means around 20 Mbits/seconds.
> My link is 100 Mbits/second. This means that I am using one fifth of the
> available bandwidth.

Yes, you are using 1/5 of your link, but 100% of the bandwidth you've
assigned to the socket. If you data feed you want to send is 20Mb/s you
should set the rate slightly higher so that there's space for RDATA.

However, my guess is that you are simply pushing data to the socket as
fast as possible. That way you are going to saturate the rate however
high you set it. In such case you are guaranteed your network won't be
overflowed (max is 20Mb/s) but you experience messages lost as there's
no spare rate available for RDATA.

In theory, the rate could be spread between RDATA and ODATA (maybe two
different rate limits) but again: how would you establish the ratio?