[zeromq-dev] Actionscript bindings

Bhavin Turakhia bhavin.t at directi.com
Mon Apr 12 20:15:42 CEST 2010

> > When in HTTP-land, talk HTTP. The best solution for this would be to
> have a
> > RestMS to 0MQ bridge implemented as a webserver and have the browser-
> based
> > application speak RestMS.
>
> This is probably true. WebSocket(s) is changing the game a little
> since it subverts the HTTP stack in evil ways (follow the IETF HyBi
> list for great merriement) but even then it can act as a data
> transport for a RestMS-style control protocol.

The reason for thinking of ActionScript as opposed to WebSockets is that
flash is ubiquitously available in all browsers while WebSockets is
currently only available in one

> It would be very simple IMO to make a RestMS-to-0MQ bridge if we have
> a 0MQ plugin for a webserver like nginx.

This would work. But a browser to 0MQ bridge is IMHO more exciting ;) -
trying to eliminate pieces in the middle for higher thruput, lower
dependencies and higher reliability. Given that google is building an OS
around chrome ... I would hedge my bets on doing everything from the
browser. Chromium already has an XMPP implementation - heralding the role of
a browser in days to come :)

- Bhavin