[zeromq-dev] Debian packaging licensing (was Re: Debian?packaging fails (Debian/Lenny, Ubuntu 9.10))

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Mon Apr 12 08:49:35 CEST 2010

On Sunday 11 April 2010 19.29:53 Wolfgang Barth wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 05:49:18PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > I'd go with 2.0.6+1d28dc-1. Or possibly 2.0.6+git1d28dc-1
>
> Why not using git-dch (see my previous mail)?
> If the current version in changelog is 2.0.6, you get the
> following schema:
>
>   2.0.6~1.gbp6fea42
>
>   2.0.6 = current version
>   ~1    = snapshot numbering
>   gbp   = git-buildpackage
>   6fea42= current commit id

This would be a snapshot that comes *before* 2.0.6 (in Debian's version
ordering: The tilde means "version x~y is earlier than version x"

Not sure if that's what you mean - as I've said I think it's more logical to
use the last released version and increase it instead of using the next
version with a tilde. But that's just a matter of taste in the end. In any
case: sure, using an existing tool instead of writing your own code is
better in most cases.  I don't use git, so I just didn't know git-dch.

cheers
-- vbi

--
To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is a koan.
Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated.  You discover
        -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com