[zeromq-dev] Actionscript bindings

Bhavin Turakhia bhavin.t at directi.com
Mon Apr 12 08:18:01 CEST 2010

Replying to all messages concerning this thread :)

> > I wonder if this is feasible ? and if anyone on this list has had a
> go at it
>
> I am not aware of anyone but let's see...
>
> In any case the wire-protocol of 0MQ is so simple that writing a code
> that would send/receive 0MQ-style message should be a matter of few
> minutes.
>
> It would offer none of the advanced 0MQ functionality (such as
> asynchronicity), however, the browser can connect to a resident 0MQ
> device/daemon that can do all the remaining work.

ActionScript does not support threading. So Asynchronicity (boy thts a
mouthful) would be difficult to implement. One hack I can think of is to
have a pool of flash widgets in the browser and use them round robin as an
async pool of threads :)

> You might be interested in a project that brought AMQP to the browser
> using a methodology similar to the OP.
>
> http://github.com/dansimpson/amqp-js

Thanks ... will check this up

> We'd certainly love to see other implementations of the 0MQ protocols
> that can interoperate.  There is some work I need to do in documenting
> the full 0MQ protocol stack.  It's not large but still needs
> documenting.
>
> If you decide to start making an Actionscript + JS client, let us
> know, so we can push on the specs.
>
> -Pieter

I will certainly let you guys know if we choose to go down this path