[zeromq-dev] Actionscript bindings

Bhavin Turakhia bhavin.t at directi.com
Sun Apr 11 18:55:11 CEST 2010

I was thinking it would be awesome to have an Actionscript version of
ZeroMQ. This would eliminate the need for a RestMS / HTTP type bridge, and
allow a browser to directly become a ZeroMQ client. The complexity offcourse
herein is one would not be able to simply create a language binding in
ActionScript, since that would require the underlying C++ code to be
compiled into the flash player installed in the browser - which is unlikely
- unless Adobe develops a sudden fondness for it J.

Therefore one would need to port the ZeroMQ client in ActionScript. This
would also mean that certain functionality of such a client (eg PGM support)
would be unavailable, since one cannot access low level socket APIs from
Actionscript and therefore underlying native functionality would not be
exposed. However I am assuming much of the functionality could be easily
ported

I wonder if this is feasible . and if anyone on this list has had a go at it

Warm Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
Founder & CEO
Directi