[zeromq-dev] Debian packaging licensing (was Re: Debian packaging fails (Debian/Lenny, Ubuntu 9.10))

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Sun Apr 11 17:49:18 CEST 2010

Heyho!

On Saturday 10 April 2010 13.18:05 Martin Lucina wrote:

[licensing]

> > Obviously Peter needs to either approve or acknowledge that I modified
> > the packaging sufficiently for him to hold no copyright.
>
> I have here an email from Peter which Martin Sustrik forwarded to me
> (body attached) which will do for now. Peter, if you can reply with a
> similar text as Adrian above that will settle the matter.

Attached? :-)

[snapshot builds]

> Yes, I'd like to do this. One thing I'm not sure about is what is the
> best practice for the version number from the package in git? Say right
> now we have 2.0.7 (not yet released) in git, so the version would be:
>
> zeromq-2.0.7-0~git-1d28dc ?
> zeromq-2.0.7-0~git-20100410 ?
>
> Something else ? I'm not sure what the correct format is here. If you can
> give any hints that'd be great.

I'd go with 2.0.6+1d28dc-1. Or possibly 2.0.6+git1d28dc-1

It's a snapshot from the git repo, so the "upstream" part of the version
number should be modified, not the "Debian" package version (which is
usually started at 1, not 0)

And adding to the last version instead of substracting from the next future
version number means the script can easily get the version (last tag in git?
Something like that) and doesn't depend on whatever decision might be made
(like that you'd like to go to 2.1 or something like that.)

In any case, it seems to be using the git version id instead of the date is
important to identify.  I've seen at least one project that even uses an
indication if the git working dir was modified or if it was a clean
checkout.  Don't remember where, and I don't think it's really necessary.

cheers
-- vbi

(Also: ACK to your removal of README/TODO.source, they're pretty specific to
Debian, and the dfsg check as well.)

--
unbreakable Infinity bit Triple Layer Socket Encryption for completely
secure communication.