[zeromq-dev] HEADS UP: changes to Java binding public API

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Fri Apr 9 15:59:10 CEST 2010

Now for the next step... As I mentioned before, there are now two ways
to build 0MQ objects:

Constructors:

  ZMQ.Context c = new ZMQ.context(1, 1, ZMQ.POLL);
  ZMQ.Socket s = new ZMQ.Socket(c, ZMQ.PUB);
  ZMQ.Poller p = new ZMQ.Poller(c, 3);

Functions:

  ZMQ.Context c = ZMQ.context(1, 1, ZMQ.POLL);
  ZMQ.Socket s = c.socket(ZMQ.PUB);
  ZMQ.Poller p = c.poller(3);

For Context itself the difference is really minimal, but for Socket and
Poller I think the "functional" way is much clearer.

Question: should I get rid of any of these two ways? My personal vote is
to make all constructors private (getting rid of the "constructors" way)
and stick to a strictly "functional" public API.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm

penalties set forth by Chilean law.