[zeromq-dev] Debian packaging fails (Debian/Lenny, Ubuntu 9.10)

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Fri Apr 9 14:02:21 CEST 2010

[ In light of the recent discussion, it's somewhat ironic that I managed to
reply to Wolfgang only instead of to the list ...  anyway, here we go]

Hi Wolfgang,

On Thursday 08 April 2010 19.58:08 Wolfgang Barth wrote:
> I tried to build debian packages from the current branch master.

I'm not sure what is on master these days (Martin?  I have posted my current
Debian packaging twice IIRC - was it ever applied?  I don't think I got any
feedback.)

The current official Debian package lives at
  +++  https://fortytwo.ch/hg/pkg-zeromq

That's a hg repository based on the 2.0.6 tarball.  I decided to keep it and
not base my work on the official git because
 -> I base the Debian package on the releaased tarballs and not the latest
snapshots
 -> as a consequence, "autogen.sh" has been run already on the source.  So
to work off the git directory, I'd have to implement a bit a different
workflow, and I don't have time to do this right now.
 -> I'm more comfortable in hg than git and have this hackish hgpkg script
that works for me.

But to package snapshots, you can always:
 -> git clone
 -> grab the debian/ directory off either my hg repository or the official
Debian source package at http://packages.debian.org/src:zeromq
 -> replace the Debian dir in git by my debian/ directory.

You need to run autogen.sh manually before running dpkg-buildpackage (also:
you may want to run "debuild -i -I -uc -us" instead of dpkg-buildpackage: it
auto-ignores .git / .hg stuff and also takes care of fakeroot
automatically.)

There's also a small check in debian/rules that you need to comment out: the
package refuses to build if the RFC inside the openpgm tarballs are present.
They have a license that doesn't allow modification and thus I can't
distribute them in Debian.

(And I also must say that I haven't compiled zeromq in a while, so maybe the
current Debian packaging on my repository doesn't work out of the box
anymore, too.)

Patches to the Debian packaging (the official one I'm writing about) are
welcome. (Please cc: me directly on these.  I do read the list, but I might
miss stuff.)  I will also continue to post the diff from git master to my
packaging when I upload new versions of the Debian package.

cheers
-- vbi

--
You opted-in to receive these exciting offers by having an email
address.  Our spam cannot be considered spam because of this