[zeromq-dev] HEADS UP: changes to Java binding public API

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Thu Apr 8 17:36:21 CEST 2010

> > Btw. There was a question on IRC about why the package name doesn't
> > match the website name (zeromq.org vs. zmq.org).
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Beats me. It was that way when I started looking into things. I can
> change it to zeromq.org in a patch after the one that changes error
> handling.
>
> When I do this change, I will introduce the top-level "namespace" (as
an
> all -encompassing class). Should that be ZMQ (nice but inconsistent),
> ZeroMQ (nice), Zeromq (yikes), other?

HEADS UP!

As previously discussed, my next patch to the Java binding will include:

* Changing the package name from zmq.org to zeromq.org.
* Adding a top-level ZQM "namespace", this is, a single public class
that will include all current public classes (Context, Socket, Poller)
and constants (PUB, SUB, POLL, etc.).

With the proposed changes, the Java binding would now look like this:

  import org.zeromq.ZMQ;  // NOT org.zmq.ZMQ!!!
  ZMQ.Context c = new ZMQ.Context(0, 0);
  ZMQ.Socket s = new ZMQ.Socket(c, ZMQ.PUB);
  ZMQ.Poller p = new ZMQ.Poller(c, 3);

In other words, all classes AND CONSTANTS will reside directly under the
ZQM namespace.

This is a change in the public API for the Java binding; hence the heads
up. If anybody opposes this or has any comments, this is the moment to
speak up.

Now, another question. Since I would be changing the public API, perhaps
this is also the moment to introduce another change:

  import org.zeromq.ZMQ;  // NOT org.zmq.ZMQ!!!
  ZMQ.Context c = ZMQ.context(0, 0);
  ZMQ.Socket s = c.socket(ZMQ.PUB);
  ZMQ.Poller p = c.poller(3);

Thought? Best regards.