[zeromq-dev] Requirements for reliability

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Apr 7 11:04:00 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at imatix.com> wrote:

> Let's rather focus on a very specific use case: reliable request/reply on
> top of TCP transport. Once we have that we can think of whether it's
> possible to make it more general.

I'd say, more generally, the first use case is reliable delivery of a
single message from one peer to another peer.  Request/reply is an
optimization of that (replies being used as acknowledgements).

Reliable fanout needs subscriber info in the reliability layer, which
we can't do now but I'm thinking that some kinds of fanout can be done
in the application layer anyhow (since they involve more complex
matching algorithms and message formats).