[zeromq-dev] Multi-threaded ZeroMQ applications

Jon Dyte jon at totient.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 21:50:01 CEST 2010

Thijs Terlouw wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Thanks for the tips! I now changed to XREP socket + 2x InProc
> (Up/Down) and it works great.

I'm glad you got it working. I did post an example of xrep/xreq using
inproc
to the list a week or two back. I can't easily post to the list during
the day,
so could not reply earlier. As Martin said the queue class in the zmq_queue
device is also an example of how to use it, though all this xrep/xreq
stuff is changing
on the trunk (as are the devices).
> I will consider moving to REP-style worker-threads later; but I was
> afraid REP-style would mean that only 1 thread would be active at any
> moment (due to the send/recv requirement)? With my current design, I
> don't have this problem.
>
> I've been busy reading the source code, trying to figure out how it
> comes XREP actually works :) I finally figured it out, and in the
> process I created a schematic UML diagram of the ZeroMQ code base.

that's a really useful diagram. thanks.
> I've attached it, perhaps it's useful for others as well. I'll
> probably update it later with more details.

good idea
> Thijs

Jon