[zeromq-dev] Over Unix Domain Sockets?

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Tue Sep 15 09:21:34 CEST 2009

2009/9/15 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at fastmq.com>

> If I was the developer the first thing I would do would be to find out
> which existing IPC mechanism is the most efficient: Pipes? Loopback
> sockets? Shared memory?
>

>From previous experience it can different on every platform.  HP/UX for
example has faster Unix sockets than shared memory, but any luck that has
since improved.

I would start with Unix sockets by taking the existing TCP sockets and
simply updating the configuration to support the different naming scheme.

For shared memory I presume you can implement a lock-less wait-free queue
using atomic ops, you could also try new system calls on Linux like
vmsplice() to turn the shared memory into a pipe.

--
Steve-o