[zeromq-dev] 0MQ 2.0 Model Question: Continued.

Martin Sustrik sustrik at fastmq.com
Wed Oct 21 09:09:45 CEST 2009

Steven McCoy wrote:
> 2009/10/21 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at fastmq.com <mailto:sustrik at fastmq.com>>
>
>     If you are able to propose a sane API for your scenario, that would be
>     the first step towards the solution. For example: How would you let the
>     system know that the response corresponds to a particular request? Etc.
>

> Consider the Tibco Rendezvous API call SendRequest it has the following
> synchronous operation:
>
> 1.  Create a unique inbox address and a handler that listens to that
> address.  Update message with a reply subject of the inbox address.
> 2.  Send outbound message.
> 3.  Block until the listener receives a reply or a set time limit expires.
> 4.  Return the reply message.

Yup. That's the standard way of doing the thing on client side. Now
consider the server side: You have to extract the inbox address from the
message, store it somewhere. Once the reply is ready, the address should
  be attached to it so that 0MQ knows which client to send the reply to.
What kind of changes to API are required here?

Actually, my feeling is that most users would appreciate simple load
balancing among N worker threads with no need for user to mess with
reply addresses etc.