[zeromq-dev] 100ms latencies in 1.0

Robin Weisberg robin at scout-trading.com
Thu Oct 8 21:25:27 CEST 2009

I've noticed that our system seems to see 100ms latency occasionally. It
happens in bursts and affects 4 in 1000 messages. Its usually exactly 100ms
when this happens (not 110 or 120 or 400).

I also noticed this variable in the config.hpp
//  Maximal wait time when engine sets timer (milliseconds).
        max_timer_period = 100
And in select_thread.cpp:
        //  Compute the timout interval. Select is free to overwrite the
        //  value so have to compute it each time anew.
        timeval timeout = {max_timer_period / 1000,
            (max_timer_period % 1000) * 1000};

We are using linux/c

Is this expected behavior? Under what conditions? What are the implications
of reducing max_timer_period? Are there better ways to avoid what looks like
a polling delay (e.g. make it use a select call)? Could it be that I'm not
setting up my iothreads/dispatcher threads correctly and that causes this?
Does the 2.0 version work the same way?

Thx!
Robin