[zeromq-dev] receive message and examine source IP?

Martin Sustrik sustrik at fastmq.com
Tue Mar 10 21:51:14 CET 2009

Hi Aamir,

> I have declared a global queue that is receiving messages from remote
> clients. Is there some way to know the source of those messages?
> Specifically I am interested in knowing the IP addresses.

No, currently there's no such functionality. Within business messaging
domain applications are normally interested only in which queue the
message came from and that info is already available.

In case you need a pointer to the sending application, it's mostly done
by passing symbolic name of the application in the message itself.
Optionally, you can pass the IP address of the sender in each message.
Given that IP address is 4 bytes long it wouldn't introduce any
considerable overhead.