[zeromq-dev] Message processor/filter broadcaster

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Wed Jun 24 04:14:43 CEST 2009

2009/6/23 Baranski, Antek <abaranski at ea.com>:
> Is 0MQ the right solution for this? Is it overkill? Anything better/easier
> out there that I should look at?

This reads like a very typical EAI project for which zeromq is suited.
 You have to make the comparisons though with other messaging queues
based on whether you want to use a standard such as AMQP, XMPP, STOMP,
etc, what are the security requirements including authentication and
encryption, what reliability and persistence level is needed, what
kind of management and monitoring you require of the messaging, the
scale of deployment and whether you need to expand on demand in a
cloud type environment.

The range of products to compare would be zeromq, OpenAMQ/RedHat
MRG/Apache QPID, TIBCO Rendezvous, TIBCO EMS (TIBCO Silver)*

I would add products that implement XMPP but I am not up-to-date with
the current implementations.  Products such as Google Wave, id
Software's Quake Live have shown it to be an reliable and scalable
messaging system.

There are a few other F/OSS messaging systems that you might wish to
compare, Facebook's (Apache) Thrift and Twitter's Starling / Kestrel
being the prominent two, Cisco (Apache) Etch being rather quiet.

* I am slightly biased against other MoM products such as MSMQ, Oracle
AQ, IBM Websphere MQ, SonicMQ, ZeroC ICE, etc.

--
Steve-o