[zeromq-dev] Trouble with Python bindings

Pavol Malosek malosek at fastmq.com
Tue Jul 21 12:10:15 CEST 2009

Hello Josip,

> When calling .receive method with block argument set to False
> application takes up to 80% of processor time! Calling the method with

Calling nonblocking receive in infinite loop?

> block=True (default) application runs, in terms of processor time and
> memory normally, but sent messages are never received, which,
> unfortunately, makes 0MQ quite unusable.

I gave a quick try to zmq-1.0.0 on Mac OS X 10.5, Python 2.5.1 with Darwin 9.0.0
i386 kernel and looks ok.

Can you please repeat following tests? (keep the order of starting test
programs)

-------- Latency test
zmq_server
python perf/tests/zmq/py_remote_lat.py localhost lo0 lo0 1 10000
python perf/tests/zmq/py_local_lat.py localhost 1 10000

local_lat side should print

message size: 1 [B]
roundtrip count: 10000
Your average latency is 151  [us]

---------- Throughput test
zmq_server
python perf/tests/zmq/py_local_thr.py localhost lo0 1 1000000
python perf/tests/zmq/py_remote_thr.py localhost 1 1000000

local_thr side should print

message size: 1 [B]
message count: 1000000
Your average throughput is 633732 [msg/s]
Your average throughput is 5.07 [Mb/s]

malo