[zeromq-dev] MSVC vs. MinGW build

Martin Sustrik sustrik at fastmq.com
Tue Jan 6 11:21:25 CET 2009

Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
> Pavol Malosek wrote:
>> As was said in previous discusion
>>> 4. There may be performance difference between MSVC and gcc (MinGW) build.
> [..]
>> We can see that there is no statistically relevant difference between MSVC
>> and MinGW build.
>> Is there anybody here having different results?
>
> Unfortunately I currently cannot contribute anything to the discussion(s)
> around build systems and MinGW, but the difference may well be caused by
> the outdated gcc in stock MinGW. Maybe try a very recent 4.3.2 one from
> here: http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/ - it has worked very well so far
> and even supports OpenMP. :)

Given that there's no statistically relevant difference between MSVC and
gcc, I wouldn't expect any significant boost between different versions
of gcc. Still, we may give it a try later on.

> This is what I tried to use with cmake on Windows, but as zmq apparently
> still depends on autotools (which I neither have nor will install) I
> didn't get further yet. not enough time at the moment..sorry about that.

There have been some changes in the trunk recently that have rendered
cmake build non-functional, but that should be fixed by now AFAIU.