[zeromq-dev] Building on Windows

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sun Jan 4 12:47:16 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at fastmq.com> wrote:

> Still, we want to release new versions ourselves, if only to have single
> authority for assigning version numbers. To that end we have to have single
> toolchain to create the packages (although N alternative build systems may
> happily coexist in the project). So my question was about this "vanilla"
> toolchain rather than about build systems in general.

Yes, understood.  I think it's possible to use a single tool chain for
own use but allow contributed support for arbitrary other tool chains.
 One way is via code generation templates, the other is simply to
allow people to contribute hand-made build projects for arbitrary
platforms and components.  Obviously, it creates a maintenance issue.
E.g. someone made a Debian package script for OpenAMQ but we can't
maintain that since it's too foreign to our tool chain.

If you do accept foreign contributions like that, if they are on a
public site and they get used, contributors will usually be happy to
maintain them, and over time you can find ways to merge the most used
ones back into the toolchain.