[zeromq-dev] my first experience in mixing zmq1 and zmq2 in one app

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sun Dec 27 15:05:10 CET 2009

Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> Since 0MQ/1 and 0MQ/2 are entirely different libraries, they should be
> usable together.  How about naming all functions 'zmq1_' and 'zmq2_'
> and then providing two include files that define macros to rename
> either of these to 'zmq_', for apps that use just one library....?

Too costly IMO. Aside of the cost of rewriting 0MQ itself, all the
existing applications, those using v1.0 as well as v2.0, would have to
be modified.

On the other hand, Pavel's script is simple and focused solution
targeting only a small subset of applications - those that have to be
migrated in multiple steps - and only for the time while the application
is being migrated.